So I’ve been given homework to complete on my own blog. Who does that? This guy does that! But it’s okay…I’ve been meaning to get back to this blog, but life happens. The goal of this homework is to share a little bit about myself. In order to finish my homework, I have to complete three different tasks, but I changed task #3.
The first task? Share 11 random facts about me that you don’t know:
- I went to Grimsley High School in Greensboro, NC. Their mascot was the Whirlie, which was originally the Whirlie Bird. Lamest mascot in athletics…period.
- I’m a smelly guy. Not that I physically smell, but I have a hyper-sensitive nose. My family would tell you that it’s obsessive, but if it stinks, I will febreeze the mess out of it. If my clothes smell funny, I will wash them immediately. My wife has embraced it.
- I’ve been to Europe twice (lucky guy…I know). I’ve visited London, Paris (twice), Munich, Rome, Berlin, and Vienna (that’s in Austria). I would move to Rome tomorrow.
- Growing up, I thought I was going to be a minister, and then I discovered education. Every now and then I think about going to seminary, and then something awesome happens in a classroom.
- Halloween is my favorite holiday. What other day of the year is it okay to scare anyone and binge eat candy?
- My wife’s grandparents lived just around the corner from me growing up. I used to cut through their yard without them knowing to reach a neighborhood playground. My wife’s high school and my high school were in the same conference and we both played sports and had friends who played sports. My wife’s parents went to the same high school as me. My wife and I never met until we both attended NC State.
- My grandfather taught at T.C. Williams High School, the school from Remember the Titans. #strongside #leftside
- I have a huge sweet tooth. Right now I’m diggin’ Sour Patch Berries candy.
- I hated all roller coasters as a kid. Just got the courage to ride them when I was in college. My parents took us to Six Flags over Atlanta and I rode the Superman roller coaster. So the courage is there, but now I get unbearable motion sickness. I passed out before the ride was over. Now I take dramamine before I get on rides so I have a tendency to fall asleep standing up in the long lines. It’s tough to be Luke Miles at theme parks.
- I have always wanted to act, and I also have a secret affinity for musicals (seen a lot and like most of them).
- My family says I make this one particular sound (like a grumbling laugh, which is a cross between Bane and Santa). Apparently, I make it all the time, but I have no idea what they are talking about.
The second task? Answer the questions given to me by that guy I mentioned above.
- If you could teach anywhere in the world (other than your current location), where would it be? As I stated in #3 above, I would move to Rome tomorrow. I’m sure I could get a job teaching over there…if not…that’s okay. I wouldn’t stress too much about because…come on…it’s Rome.
- Superman, Batman, Spiderman, or Green Lantern? Why? Is this even a fair question? Absolutely..all the time…every day…BATMAN! All the others have super powers. Batman gives all other regular joes (like you and me) a little bit of hope that we may be able to do what no other human can do.
- What is your favorite comedy movie of all time? Life of Brian…absolutely hilarious, and I watched it with my minister.
- Would you rather have the super power of invisibility or flying? Invisibility would be cool especially if you are able to walk through walls when you are invisible. I get pretty bad motion sickness (see #9 above) so I doubt flying would be the best thing for me.
- If you could drink milkshakes with any person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be? Real – President Abraham Lincoln, Fictional – President Abraham Lincoln, the Vampire Slayer
- Favorite dipping sauce? Chick-fil-A Barbecue Sauce
- What one quality is your greatest asset? My sense of humor gets me around pretty well. I like to think that having an adaptable sense of humor allows me to socialize with just about anyone.
- Put in order of most awesome to least: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, The Lone Ranger, Walker Texas Ranger, Galaxy Rangers, Army Rangers. Walker Texas Ranger (I put him first because I know we all know what would happen to me if I didn’t #chucknorris), Might Morphin Power Rangers (really I think they should be first, but don’t tell Chuck Norris), Army Rangers, The Lone Ranger (movie was lame), Galaxy Rangers (who?)
- What is the best way to reduce the number of school shootings in the United States? I think a combination between gun laws, more efficient school security, raising awareness for mental health, and prayer would take us a long way to helping us with this problem. It’s one of the saddest stories I read in the news way too often.
- What mobile app do you use the most often? Twitter, Chrome, and Calendar are all tied at the top
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how dope do you dance The Robot? Been dancing the ‘bot since 1995 so an 8…pretty dope.
Since I started this homework, I was tagged by another colleague (this gal!) therefore I am changing the third task. So I’m going to do a little something unorthodox with this homework. Instead of passing the blogpost to other bloggers, I am going to answer her 11 questions as well since the majority of bloggers I follow have been tagged for this homework and many of them have completed it. I’m sorry for breaking the chain, but I hope you enjoy the extra answers.
- What is the one biggest challenge you face in the classroom that has a solution? I am actually no longer in the classroom, but one of the biggest challenges I face as an Instructional Technology Facilitator is convincing teachers to work with me. They are really pressed for time to get through the curriculum so fitting me in is a little tough, but I have a few leads 🙂
- What character from a book, movie, or television are you most like and how so? I’ve been told that I remind people of Luke Wilson…it could just be the name.
- What’s something other people really seem to like that you think is either totally pointless or a waste of time? My teammate for life, Sarah Baker, will kill me for this, but I just can’t get into Yoga despite being surrounded by yogies for much of my life. I’m going to try again in 2014 (it’s my New Year’s Resolution) because I know it’s good for centering, de-stressing, and many other things.
- Are you a “dog person” or a “cat person”? Dog person all the way.
- If you could time travel to any time period in history for one week, when would you choose and why? As I stated above, I would love to spend a week with Abraham Lincoln.
- Favorite type of candy? See random fact #8
- If you could live forever, would you? Why/why not? Absolutely not. Knowing that my time on Earth is limited and out of my hands, motivates me to positively contribute to the all the circles I run in.
- In which House would The Sorting Hat have placed you at Hogwarts? Feel free to use this Sorting Hat Quiz. Hufflepuff – 12, Ravenclaw – 12, Gryffindor – 11, Slytherin – 7
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you feel about sushi? If 1 is the worst, then I’m a 1. If 10 is the worst, then I’m a 10.
- What’s your favorite tech tool for the classroom? The new I’m going to try out is Touchcast.
- You’ve just received an unexpected $5,000. What would you do with it? Buy something cool for my wife and myself, and then I would save the rest.